On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Kenny Lussier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  What if I can touch the AD servers? Or, at least, I sit next to the
> >  guy that can touch the AD servers? Are there other options?
>
>   SFU (Services For Unix, "free", from Microsoft) aims to make Windows
> speak Unix protocols to your Unix boxes.  It's the logical inverse of
> Samba.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Services+For+Unix%22
>
>  So, with SFU, you could use closer-to-native tools (like NIS or
> LDAP) to have the Unix boxes authenticate to Active Directory.  That
> would probably yield a smoother integration, since those protocols
> provide more Unix-like capabilities than SMB does.  You could, for
> example, control the Unix home directory path from AD, or the Unix
> UID/GID.  I've never used SFU myself, but I've heard of others who
> have used it successfully (for something).

I'm running w2k3 Storage server with SFU to serve Solaris clients.  We're
using about 20 TB.
It will use a NIS map to coordinate usernames but we're not using NIS so we
use a static map.

It seems to require that every Unix user have an AD account with a valid
password.  No password, no access.  File ownership has had some issues, but
I suspect that because we switched AD servers.  It's not an issue in my
environment.

I've also used SFU on WinXP to get an NFS server for a lab.  Everything has
been with local accounts.  The price is right.