Peter Dobratz wrote:
> So I want to setup a linux server at home to do backups from various
> computers around the house.
>
> Amanda looks promising ( http://amanda.zmanda.com/ )
>
> For the backup server, I want to setup a separate box, probably
> running Debian.  As the primary purpose of this computer is just to
> store the backups, my primary feature consideration is power
> requirements.  Is there anything out there that can run Linux, have a
> few 250 GB or greater hard drives, and run on around 50 Watts or less?
>  It can be a headless box that I ssh into.

The Linksys NSLU2 may be close to what you want.  It works with USB
drives (any size), is low power, runs debian and is fairly inexpensive.
I picked up one on eBay last year for $90, then found some at the MIT
flea last year for $45.  I have two, one acting as a fileserver for
non-RAID data, the other as my DNS/DHCP/LDAP server.  Flash based, so
aside from any drive noise, it's quiet.

-Mark