On April 08, 2008, Bill McGonigle sent me the following:
> Thanks for the feedback on the Green drives.  Good to hear!
[snip]
> I read earlier that even thought they're billed as "5400-7200 RPM"
> drives, they're either 5400 or 7200 depending on model.  WD seems to
> obfuscate what's really going on, at least without having dug deep
> into spec sheets.

There's a pretty good review of the WD RE2-GP drives at Tech Report.
    http://tech-report.net/articles.x/13578

Apparently the new ones run at 7.4W read/write, 4.0W idle. Concerning
rotational speed, from the article:

  Western Digital won't reveal the exact spindle speed of its GreenPower
  drives, saying only that they run somewhere between 5,400 and 7,200
  RPM. Spindle speeds vary depending on capacities, too, although all GP
  drives at a given capacity run at the same speed. We've also confirmed
  that RE2-GP drives share the same spindle speeds as their
  like-capacity Caviar GP counterparts.

--
Chip Marshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://weblog.2bithacker.net/
GCM/IT d+(-) s+:++ a26>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+