"Labitt, Bruce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What is the advantage of a debian based distro compared to
> rpm based?  (Did I say that?  Keep it civil.  )

Really?  Nothing.  Linux is Linux is Linux and Unix is Unix is Unix
and Linux is Solaris is BSD is HP-UX is AI^H^H (oops, almost got
carried away there :)

The biggest differences boil down to:
 - The packaging system and associated tools (they all suck in their own way)
 - The location/formats of config files      (they all suck in their own way)
 - Choice of SysVinit vs. BSD's rc.local     (they both suck in their own way)

When it comes to Linux distros, really, what's to be different?  All
of them use the same kernel, so it's not like moving between Solaris
and AIX where you're moving between completely different OSes.  They
all use the same software, so it's not like what you run on one you
can't get or run on another.

It boils down to configuration, packaging, and system administration.
Which, at a high level, is really the only difference between all
other variants of UNIX.  The same commands work across the board: ls,
cd, rm, tr, sed, awk, etc.

As for windowing environments, you can run whatever you want on any of
them, right?  I've been the using same exact desktop for 15+ years,
first under twm, then ctwm, then (and now) fvwm.  If you're a GNOME or
KDE fan, you can still use both of those monstrosities under any of
the Linux distros too.

IMO, the biggest difference between a RH-based and Debian-based system
is the packaging and tools and the basic sysadmin configuration:

 RH                                            Debian
 ----                                          ------
 rpm                                           dpkg*
 yum                                           apt*
 chkconfig                                     update-rc.d
 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/if*            /etc/network/interfaces
 /etc/xinetd.*                                 /etc/inetd.conf

Those right there are the major differences I can think of.  The most
obvious ones being the packaging tool sets.

I haven't played with a RPM-based system in nearly 8 years since I
switched to Debian (I haven't even played with other Debian-based
systems yet, I haven't seen the need or had the time).  The thing I
liked initially about Debian was the ability to install once and
upgrade forever.  I assume that rpm with yum has this capability by
now as well, but Debian had this with apt long before yum existed.  My
system at home is a 9 year-old PIII which had Debian installed on it 6
years ago and I've never re-installed anything, yet I'm "up-to-date"
with whatever I'm running on it thanks to 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

So, take that for what it's worth.  If you're simply concerned about
moving between different distros of Linux, that's about all the
difference right there.  If you're concerned about moving to other
versions of UNIX, I highly recommend checking out the BSDs.  I find
OpenBSD with it's superior networking code makes a much nicer
boot-loader for Emacs than does Linux... :)
--
Seeya,
Paul