On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Coleman Kane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Yeah, I realize this *now*, however it doesn't still excuse them from
>  unannouncedly denying service.

  Actually, per their ToS, they're within their rights to simply
terminate your account and keep your money.  You *did* read that
contract you agreed to, right?  ;-)

  FWIW, if you find you want to continue with Comcast (not sure how
you'd reach that conclusion, but...), they offer a premium class of
service which allows hosting services.  At work in Amesbury, MA, we're
paying $65/month for something that's pretty speedy, with a static IP
address.  YMMV.

> They [FairPoint] seem "less bad" than Comcast.

  Yah, when the choice was Verizon vs Comcast, I always said that it's
not that I liked Comcast, but that I hated Verizon more.  In my
experience, all telcos suck; some just suck more than others.  (And
cablecos are telcos, if you didn't know already.)  If FairPoint
manages to start Verizon's FTTP rollout back up again, I'll almost
certainly be switching.  Cable Internet is usually much faster than
DSL, so that's a tougher call.  If I hear really good things about
FairPoint's customer service, I might consider it, but they'd really
have to be astoundingly good things.  (Remember, all telcos suck.)

-- Ben