Tom Buskey wrote:

> IMO, the original Palm UI and apps still hold up very well.  I've been
> using Palm with Unix since I got a Pilot 1000.  I have a Blackberry for
> work and my wife uses an iPhone.

I keep an old Handspring Visor Pro handy, myself.  I like that I can
back it up to a CF card (with memplug) and not have to keep fresh
batteries in it.  It uses AAA batteries so when I need to use it, I
install them and load my data from the CF card.  It syncs fine in Linux,
too.

I used to own (among many other PDAs) a Palm Treo 350. (Actually, I
still have it, but it's bricked at the moment...) and a phone accessory
for the Visor.

I recently got a Blackberry Curve 8320.  I really like the chicklet
keyboard and the vast range of communications options (Edge, GMRS, WiFi,
Bluetooth) and the fact that I can sync it with KDE PIM and back it all
up to my hard drive.

Even better is Google's support for calendar sync and Blackberry's
lightening fast push email.  With J2ME there are a lot of apps
available, though not as many free ones as with the older Palm OS.  I do
wish the Blackberry's development kit was a little more open (and Linux
compatible) but again, there is the option of generic J2ME.

> I find the other devices don't improve on the basic apps and in the case
> of the Blackberry's calendar, fall short.

Yes, the internal calendar alone does fall short.  BUT... the Google
Calendar sync is quite nice.

> Palm hasn't updated it significantly.  They've made a number of abortive
> attempts at modernizing the OS to a Linux based one.  They have added
> web browsing and phone use.

Palm dropped the ball IMO when they split their hardware and software
groups apart.

Brian