Just as a simple sanity check, I'd test it without trying to
overcomplicate things. Forget the symlinks to busybox; just
rename the binary to /bin/sh, or whatever name busybox uses
to decide to be a shell; then modify the test kernel to run
/bin/sh instead of /sbin/init. That will at least prove that
the kernel can successfully boot.

And from that, you can try running by hand each command that
your proposed initramfs is supposed to run automatically via init.
By doing that, you should be able to identify where the init
process was failing.