I tried the various suggestions to no effect.
"rpm -V bash" returns nothing.
A copy of the bash binary from another server exhibits the same problem.

Aother thing I noticed is when I tried logging in as a different user,
the problem didn't occur. The other user was locally defined, whereas
my regular user account is defined in our LDAP server (IDEALX
smbldap-tools).

I enabled another LDAP user to be able to login to the server, and that
user also exhibits the problem. Local users, including root, do not
exhibit the problem.

Another thing I discovered is that piping fails; it silently terminates
immediately. To verify this, I ran "find / | more", and it silently
returned to the bash prompt with absolutely no delay.

Also, "getent passwd" returns all passwd entries from ldap, but
"getent group" only returns what's in /etc/group. This part happens
for local users as well as LDAP users. But why that would result in
bash misbehavior is something that makes no sense to me.

On Thu, July 24, 2008 1:11 pm, Ben Scott said:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Shawn O'Shea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# rpm -V bash
>
>   And "rpm -Va" will verify all packages on the system.
>
>   I had this help me just the other day.  Somehow, some files existed
> in the system that didn't match the RPM database.  Only, either an RPM
> transaction somehow completed without updating all files but still
> updating the database, or maybe a backup was partially restored.
> (Pretty sure it was benign and not security compromise trojan horse
> replacement; the binaries matched different versions of the package
> files, and when disassembled, they had nothing nefarious in them.)
> "rpm -Va" let me find all the mismatches, and then "rpm --upgrade
> --replacepkgs" to reinstall them.
>
> -- Ben
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL
PROTECTED]
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9

believed to be clean.