From:   "Thomas Charron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     gnhlug <gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org>
Date:   7/28/2008 5:22 PM
Subject:        VMWare ESXi now free

The base metal version of VMWare, aka, no host OS, raw vmware, is now free.

  http://vmware.com/products/esxi/

  ESX is actually using a small Linux kernel which then loads VMWare
modules which actually perform the virtualization.

--
-- Thomas
---------------

I thought the same for quite some time(VMware server works like that) until I
looked into it more and was told by the VMware folks thats not the case(Im
still skeptical though, they ARE owned by EMC ;) ).  According to VMware the
'official' process goes like so...

1.) Std x86 boot process (POST -> MBR)
2.) Grub loads up the vmkernel and initializes the hardware
3.) The vmkernel loads up a virtual instance of RHEL 3 U9 (as of 3.5 U2) to act
as the service console for administrative purposes.

If you watch the boot process of the service console you see all the services
starting up and you think to yourself, hey this is linux and they are just
using rc scripts to run this and load up the modules needed for
virtualization(iscsi, networking, mgmt, etc...).  There is no denying the close
ties to linux.  However with 3i they just boot the hypervisor kernel with
limited admin abilities like those you would get in a BIOS.

ESX is still considered a bare metal hypervisor because it does not run on top
of an operating system.  ESX 3i or ESXi is considered embedded.

But if are a command line junkie you may not want to get rid of your console
OS, I have 3i along with many standard ESX installs in our environment and
prefer ESX.  If I were a windows admin with no skills outside of M$ maybe I
would prefer 3i so I wouldn't have to deal and understand things like
partitioning, console security, or a command line interface.  It aint bad for
free though, but you need a windows box to admin the thing(or you have vmware
server/kvm/xen running your xp vm).

Hypervisors are becoming a commodity as you can see they are giving them away.
Its the management and all the cool features that you have to pay for.  But for
production environments when you need HA to keep you running in case of a
server failure, that downtime could be worth millions depending on business.
If you haven't played with things like vmotion, storage vmotion and templates
get your free fully functional 60 eval and test it out if you have the
hardware.  For the SAN you can use and NFS server to keep costs down.

The ESX kernel is based on a 2.4 kernel but is not the linux 2.4 kernel.  So
just because a piece of hardware is supported in the standard 2.4 kernel
doesn't mean it will work with ESX.  Their drivers are not standard and are
customized to work with their proprietary kernel.  If you want standard drivers
you are better off with XenServer which is based on CentOS 5 and uses standard
hardware and drivers.

Cheers,
Jeff