Trying to be budget conscious I recalled that my office UPS (APC) is
1500VA and 865W, and has lead acid batteries inside.  It claims 2
hours of runtime at 50W.  I got it on sale for $120 or so.

So, I pulled out the Kill-A-Watt and plugged it inline with my
laptop, and got a 42W load mostly idle (10% CPU).  So, I pegged the
CPU's with a tight loop and ran some disk activity and it jumped to
65W.  Now, and this was surprising to me, I pulled out the battery
while the CPU was at 100%, and it fell to 40W.  This battery is
supposedly fully-charged.  I put it back in and it went back up to
65W.   I'm very surprised it's constantly using 25W of power to keep
the battery topped off.  That's not very green.

So, to the original point of demo'ing linux in the field without AC,
this is likely to be a cost-effective option (must cut speaker
wire! ... use NUT).  Among the membership it ought to be possible to
borrow a few UPS's for a demo day, should that be necessary.

I'm curious how noisy of an inverter APC puts in those things.  I'd
hope it's better than the one that plugs into my cigarette lighter
socket in the car, but I don't have a scope to measure it  (I know
it's not pure-sine).  I'll plug my microphone into it and the sound
should give me a pretty good idea.

I'm also now curious about using a bigger battery with the COTS UPS
since they've already done most of the work for me.  I realize the
inverter is electrically inefficient, however assuming hot-rodding a
UPS can work, bigger batteries are more economically efficient than
any of the other solutions I've found, in a $/VA calculation, and
they get pretty good runtimes out of relatively small batteries, so
they've done most of the hard engineering work I'd be unlikely to
replicate.

-Bill

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/