On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 16:22 -0400, Cole Tuininga wrote:
> ... then I need to figure out how to run the audio.
>
> I have an ok (I think) audio card - it's a SB Audigy SE.  I've got a
> pretty decent stereo (Yamaha RX-V1700
> http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=451764 which
> I got new, for $500 off list price ... yum).  The real question is ...
> how to hook the two of them together?  :)
>
> I'm a bit of a neophyte wrt audio connectivity, so I'm kinda not sure
> what I'm doing here.  I'm assuming that I should be trying to run from
> the digital audio out on the sound card, to one of the digital audio
> inputs on the stereo, but which?  And do I need a special cable?

Most SB cards have a mini digital coax output, so you need either a
cable w/that type of connector on the end, or an adapter. Basically, a
mono to single rca adapter and a standard rca-rca cable will do the job
just fine -- should be an orange rca input somewhere on the amp that is
digital coax. I used just such a setup until my frontend transmogrified
into a Mac Mini (which has mini-toslink optical digital audio out as its
digital audio output option).

--jarod