> FWIW, NetAPP's WAFL and Sun's ZFS are COW file systems.  COW makes
> it easy(ier?)  to do snapshots.

I (think I) get how a COW approach is supposed to work; when
you decide to take a snapshot you throw The Big Switch and
from then on all writes to blocks on the "device" in question
(where the filesystem data reside) are instead written somewhere
else so that the filesystem bits aren't changing underneath
you as you copy blocks from that device to archival storage.
But how do you guarantee that the filesytem is snapshotted
in a consistent state?  Are you required to somehow force all
pending operations to complete and all files to be closed (or
whatever) to quiesce the data?  Or am I making more of this
than is necessary and it somehow isn't a serious problem?

 (and yes, I could read about this on my own instead of
  asking questions in class like this, but I figured others
  might find this interesting, as well...)