On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 11:50 -0500, Dan Jenkins wrote:
> Michael ODonnell wrote:
> > Dan Jenkins wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know if it is possible to add user-created
> >> custom tags to RPMs when creating them?
> >>

> > I don't quite understand what you're asking for but you
> > can cause rpm to generate a list of all possible tags thus:
> >
> >    rpm --querytags
> >
> > ...some of which can (I believe) be specified in .spec
> > file directives.
> >
> I didn't make it clear. I was asked whether it was possible to extend
> the list of standard tags in RPM packages someone is building. I don't
> know exactly what issue they are trying to solve, but a custom tag would
> help them somehow. I forwarded the question to the folk who would know
> what was possible best. :-)

Ah. So ignore my prior post. There was some discussion along these lines
on the fedora devel mailing list a little while back, and iirc, the
answer was that you could really only do this by code changes to rpm
itself. Otherwise, rpm won't know to store the info in that tag in the
rpm database, apps won't know to look for that tag, etc.

--
Jarod Wilson