On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 17:43 -0500, Ben Scott wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Alan Johnson <a...@datdec.com> wrote:
> > However, they are calling it Nova?  It is one thing for GM to try to sell a
> > car in countries where the name translates to "it does not go," but last I
> > checked, Cuba's native tongue was Spanish.
>
>   The "Nova" thing is an urban myth.
>
> http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp
>
>   In Spanish, "Nova" means the explosion of a star, same as it does in
> English.

I took Spanish for 4 years in high school and it seems to me that they
are a little off base about the impact of the name.  While "nova" may
not mean doesn't go, the phrase "No va" does.  ("va", being the
el/ella/usted form of the infinitive verb "ir" meaning "to go")

Yes, it's probably not the phrase that one would specifically choose to
describe a non-functioning vehicle, it's still awfully big fodder for
mockery.

Imagine a car company in the US marketing a vehicle called the "Nogo".
I doubt it would get out of that lightly.