Lloyd Kvam <pyt...@venix.com> writes:

> NOTE-- The payroll documentation says:
>
> GnuCash does not have an integrated payroll system.  While you can track
> payroll expenses in GnuCash, the calculation of taxes and deductions has
> to be done outside of GnuCash.
>
> That's the last piece a small business would seem to need.

Doing payroll is harder than it seems.  There are pretax and posttax
deductions, and then there are all the various taxes that need to be
taken out, some from the employee, and some employer-paid.  Then of
course there's the fact that each locale has its own tax rate, and those
change year to year...  I think the best we could do in GnuCash is come
up with a good payroll framework and then let the actual tax rates and
local rules get plugged into the framework.

This has been discussed on the gnucash-devel mailing list, and I
encourage anyone interested in this topic (or better yet, interested in
implementing it!) to join that list and bring it up there.

Thanks!

-derek
       warl...@mit.edu                        PGP key available