> Is there any way to stop init partway through, so I could at
> least see if unreasonable amounts of memory seem to have been
> used, or look for other information?

I've occasionally had to engage in this sort of hackery when debugging
b0rken init logic and such.  In the script of your choice, I'd add
something like this:

    # Conditionally spawn an interactive shell on /dev/tty2 in background:
    #
    if grep wait4me /proc/cmdline ; then
        # setup a rendezvous so you can have this script
        # wait until you're ready for it to proceed:
        #
        cat /dev/null > /tmp/mutexFile

        /bin/bash -i < /dev/tty2 > /dev/tty2 2>&1 &

        # Cause this script to wait around until released...
        #
        while [ -e /tmp/mutexFile ] ; do sleep 5; done
    fi

You can then switch over to tty2 using Alt-F2 and poke around using that
interactive version of bash you just spawned.  When ready, release your
hacked script by deleting that /tmp/mutexFile.  Your bash will live on
until explicitly terminated, though tty2 will suddenly become useless
if init is allowed to spawn a getty on it that will compete with your
bash for I/O.  Of course, if you ever get that far you'll probably be
happy because it means you've solved the problem...

You'll need to interrupt GRUB (or LILO) before it loads your kernel and
tack that wait4me token onto the kernel's boot command line to activate
this rendezvous stuff.