On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 13:11 -0400, Paul Lussier wrote:
> Lloyd Kvam <lk...@venix.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 19:46 -0400, Paul Lussier wrote:
> >> Is anyone here familiar with unit testing in python using the unittest
> >> module?  If so, I'm rather stumped on something.
> >>
> > The nosetests module (package probably named python-nose) will do what
> > you want though it supports a different naming convention for your test
> > modules.
> >
> > Essentially it looks for test*.py modules and runs them.  It provides
> > consistent ordering and reasonably smart reporting.  You can use command
> > line options to control essential aspects of your test runs.
> >
> > Highly recommended.
>
> Fascinating.  How does nosetest differ from unittest ?

It's a test "runner".  It supports unittest as well as more relaxed
methods for writing your test scripts.  From the README:

        nose: a discovery-based unittest extension.

        nose provides extended test discovery and running features for
        unittest.

        Basic usage
        -----------

          nosetests [options] [(optional) test files or directories]

> Is it a
> built-in python module?
No

> Or do I have to download it from somewhere?
yum install python-nose (or apt-get)

> Pointers?
http://code.google.com/p/python-nose

If you are not using a package manager on your system easy_install is
likely the easiest way to install third party Python modules.  It works
quite simply so long as you:
        do not need an automatic uninstall capability
        do not need multiple versions of the same module
http://peak.telecommunity.com/EasyInstall.html

Once you have EasyInstall in place:
        easy_install nose

I use easy_install pretty sparingly since I lose the benefit of a
package manager documenting the system setup.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp