On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Ric Werme <ewe...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I identified with the 3rd photo.  The soft cups for the handset were
> typical of the genre.

  Yah, I've seen an acoustic coupler before, but never one with a
wooden enclosure!  :)

> Of course the circuitry was analog - other than dialing, the
> phone system was analog.

  Much of it still is.  Local loop POTS.

  I meant the modem's computer interface.  The video explains -- and
demonstrates -- that the modulation is just tied directly to the
serial port's output.  The tone changes when the wires are connected,
or if a different cable is used.  I had made an uninformed assumption
that more sophisticated electronics would be needed in even an early
modem.  Apparently not.  :)

-- Ben