On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Bill McGonigle <b...@bfccomputing.com> wrote:
>> sync, unmount, power off, yank connector.
>
> unmount, sync?

  IIRC, it actually doesn't matter.  On Linux, umount does an implicit
sync(2).  I don't recall if it's umount(2) or umount(8) that calls
sync, but unless you're writing your own dismount utility it shouldn't
matter.

  The only benefits to invoking sync(8) explicitly are (1) paranoia
and (2) you know what's actually taking so long.

> I've learned to run away screaming
> like a little girl from 3Ware SATA of late.

  Really.  That's very interesting.  Can you elucidate?  Years ago,
3Ware was practically synonymous with high-quality ATA controllers,
and were an early contributor of GPL drivers for such.  They've
certainly had enough time to go downhill since then, but I'd like to
know details.

-- Ben