There still seems to be a few people on this list...

This post is a general one, I am exploring a reasonable way to accomplish
something.  Sorry about the html for those of you in the dark ages...

Problem Description:
I have been working on an interesting programming project where I need to
create, categorize and link files together.  There are three general types
of things I need to deal with:

1. Set up meta-data.  This right now is a python dictionary with the
recipe or settings to generate a particular set of stimulus files.  This
dictionary is human readable.
2. The stimulus files which are created by "running" the meta-data through
a preprocessor.  The stimulus files are large, but they are still text.
The meta-data has been used to create these files, but one cannot look at
the data and see the meta-data.
3. The results files which are generated by simulating the stimulus files
in a processing engine.  The data files are binary, primarily to reduce
storage space and file I/O times.

I want to link these altogether somehow.  That is, if I browse (using some
magical browser that I would create) to the data file and click on it, I
would see a small image which visualizes the result (a png file?)  and
links to the meta-data that created it.  Optionally there would be a link
to the stimulus file.  Frankly, the stimulus file isn't that interesting
to me.  It is just a way to generate the results file.

I'm trying to create a library of waveforms and their effects.  I need to
create broad categories on the nature of the waveforms and the results.

Questions:
Is this just a 'simple' database problem?
Is there another (simpler) way of dealing with this?
Any general suggestions?

I've toyed with the idea of just prepending the dictionary name and
stimulus file name to the data file, although somehow that does not seem
like a good way to go.

I'm just a programming noob, my background is more electrical engineering.
 The only exposure I have to databases is mySQL and that is because I have
mythTV at home.  If you were to ask me to actually do anything with the db
besides mythfilldatabase, I'd be lost...    I'm sure I could learn, but
I'm looking for a straight forward way to accomplish this.  I am almost
dangerous using Python, you can ask anyone on the PySIG list :)

Any insights would be useful.

Thanks!
Bruce

Oh yeah - I'm running all this stuff on an Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop (except for
the engine, which is an IBM QS22 running YDL).
See, it has something to do with Linux even...

Bruce Labitt
Autoliv Electronics
1011B Pawtucket Blvd, PO Box 1858
Lowell, MA  01853

Email: bruce.lab...@autoliv.com.
Tel:  (978) 674-6526
Fax: (978) 674-6581

******************************
Neither the footer nor anything else in this E-mail is intended to or
constitutes an <br>electronic signature and/or legally binding agreement in the
absence of an <br>express statement or Autoliv policy and/or procedure to the
contrary.<br>This E-mail and any attachments hereto are Autoliv property and
may contain legally <br>privileged, confidential and/or proprietary
information.<br>The recipient of this E-mail is prohibited from distributing,
copying, forwarding or in any way <br>disseminating any material contained
within this E-mail without prior written <br>permission from the author. If you
receive this E-mail in error, please <br>immediately notify the author and
delete this E-mail.  Autoliv disclaims all <br>responsibility and liability for
the consequences of any person who fails to <br>abide by the terms herein. <br>