On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Ben Scott<dragonh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Greg Rundlett
> (freephile)<g...@freephile.com> wrote:
>> Vlan tagging separates the traffic.
>> How do I configure my notebook to be on both networks?
>
>  You need to tell the OS that you want it to recognize VLAN tags on
> the interfaces.  You'll then get multiple interfaces of the form
> "foo0.1", where 0 is the physical interface number and 1 is the VLAN
> ID.  You can also still use "foo0" for untagged frames, if that's how
> the network is configured.
>
>  Note that is a dot (.) not a colon (:).  (Colons are used for
> interface aliases, which is a way to do multiple IP addresses on one
> physical interface, while maintaining the illusion of multiple
> interfaces for programs which can't handle multiple IPs on a single
> logical interface.  (You can do the same thing easier with multiple
> "ip addr add dev foo0" invocations, but some software assumes
> "interface == address".))
>
>  The manual way to configure a VLAN interface is with the vconfig(8)
> command.  For example:
>
>        vconfig add eth0 42
>
> will create the "eth0.42" VLAN interface.
>
>  I don't know the way to configure VLANs with Debian/Ubuntu config automation.
>
>  For Red Hat, you can create an "ifcfg-foo0.1" interface description
> file, add "VLAN=yes", specify "DEVICE=foo0.1", and the rest happens
> automagically.
>
> -- Ben

Thanks Ben,

I'm reading more on VLANs [1] and now have at least installed vconfig
and enabled the 8021q kernel module [2] :-)

This article [3] looks like what I'm after, so I'll have to study, and test

[1] http://oldwiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs(2f)NetworkInterfaces.html
[2] sudo  sh -c 'grep -q 8021q /etc/modules || echo 8021q >> /etc/modules'
[3] http://www.go2linux.org/vlan-with-debian