Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> That's basically what a Drobo
> (http://www.drobo.com/products/drobo.php) is, only they already
> considered all of those performance questions for you.
>
> --DTVZ
>
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Neil Joseph Schelly
> <n...@jenandneil.com <mailto:n...@jenandneil.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm looking to build a small Shuttle barebone machine into a NAS
>     running
>     Linux.  The intent of the machine is to be a networked PC with lots of
>     storage in a RAID array, made available over the gigabit network
>     interface
>     via Samba, NFS, and maybe iSCSI protocols.  I'm curious what
>     experience
>     others have with this sort of stuff in general, but two immediate
>     questions
>     come to mind about processor and memory performance.
>
>     I can go the low-power, low-heat route and get a single-core
>     processor and a
>     single memory stick of minimal quantity.  Or I can upgrade a bit,
>     get a
>     dual-core processor with 2 sticks of dual-channel memory.  Or
>     something in
>     between.  What I don't know is how much impact processor speed,
>     multiple
>     cores, memory capacity, and dual-channel memory has on disk I/O,
>     network I/O,
>     software RAID processing, etc.
>
>     I like the idea of a small low-power, low-heat appliance, but will
>     going too
>     low on those negatively impact performance much?  The cost
>     difference between
>     a single-core processor with 1GB of memory and a dual-core
>     processor with 2
>     sticks of 1GB dual-channel memory is insignificant, so that's not
>     much of a
>     concern.
>     -N

There seem to be a lot of unhappy Drobo users if Newegg's customer
reviews are anything to go buy. Take a look here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822240010

I have learned the hard way to be very mindful of the customer reviews
on Newegg. If the unhappy customers get to the 20% or higher level you
need to make sure their complaints don't apply to your situation.

-Alex