gnhlug-discuss-boun...@mail.gnhlug.org wrote on 09/18/2009 03:23:14 PM:

> bruce.labitt writes:
>
> > I've not seen this type of code before.  I wonder why all of my
> > previous code even works.  Surely it is a way to do it.  Is there a
> > simpler way?  (Not that the above is hard by any means.)
>
> Can you tell us, which books on C and C++ do you have in
> your work area right now?

That's easy.  Nada.  I do have a copy of K&R C book at home.  Someone here
has some C++ books, though I haven't looked at them.

I look up a lot of stuff at www.cplusplus.com

For the most part, I have found C++ rather opaque.  Read that to mean most
books that I looked at were terrible.  Put me to sleep in less than 5
minutes - really boring.  Although, to be fair, maybe I wasn't 'ready' to
take on OOP and C++ at the same time.

Now that I have some (ok, a little) object oriented experience in python,
tackling C++ doesn't quite seem as bad.  Many of the concepts transfer
over.  Though I have to admit, C++ makes for much crappier reading code
and you have to work a lot harder at it...  Jeesh, freaking friends...

If people know of some readable C++ texts, let me know.  It wouldn't hurt
to have a good book around!

Regards,
Bruce

******************************
Neither the footer nor anything else in this E-mail is intended to or
constitutes an <br>electronic signature and/or legally binding agreement in the
absence of an <br>express statement or Autoliv policy and/or procedure to the
contrary.<br>This E-mail and any attachments hereto are Autoliv property and
may contain legally <br>privileged, confidential and/or proprietary
information.<br>The recipient of this E-mail is prohibited from distributing,
copying, forwarding or in any way <br>disseminating any material contained
within this E-mail without prior written <br>permission from the author. If you
receive this E-mail in error, please <br>immediately notify the author and
delete this E-mail.  Autoliv disclaims all <br>responsibility and liability for
the consequences of any person who fails to <br>abide by the terms herein. <br>