On 09/22/2009 08:50 PM, Gerry Hull wrote:
> I have a completely opposite opinion of Linksys routers.

Just to clarify, it sounds like you have a completely opposite opinion
of WRT54GL's.  I'd second your opinion of that particular model.  It's
always been particularly robust, but recall that we have a 54GL because
after the 54G became so popular, Linksys went to much cheaper parts and
broke linux compatibility to save money. The outcry was so loud they
brought the old design back into production in parallel with the
mass-produced el-cheapo, which was universally panned.  As far as I
know, the GL has been largely unchanged to date.

But now that gigabit and -n are prevalent, the GL is showing its age.
I've looked at the 610 line and found overheating/reset problems.  Alex
outlines other areas where cheap was more important than quality.  I've
been trying an ASUS replacement for the GL just because I suspect
Linksys will kill it soon.

FWIW, I'm running my -n network on a $30 Rosewill WAP piggy-backed onto
a GL.  It's not linux and not gigabit, but I run all the smarts in
DD-WRT on the GL and let the Rosewill run as a completely dumb bridge.
So far it's been worth every penny, and the logic board is the size of a
playing card and runs very cool.

Incidently, if you see this mail, it's the first one I sent on a Netgear
GS108T.  That's a $100 Linux-based gigabit *switch* with nearly all the
desired management bells and whistles that you can pick up at Staples.
I haven't turned on VLAN's or jumbo frames yet, but I'm pleased by the
march towards world domination.  Coincidentally(yeah, right), the switch
gets raves while their proprietary smart switches get panned.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC