On 09/29/2009 02:14 PM, Gerry Hull wrote:
> I have a friend who just went through a nightmare trying to get his
> i7-860 running Windows 7/64 or Windows Vista/64 on a Asus
> motherboard...  Thing would lock-up randomly, and tech support was no
> help.

On my ASUS I had to set the motherboard memory configuration manually.
Using Kingston Hyper-X RAM, the automatic settings the BIOS set were
5-5-5-18 at 800MHz at 1.8V.  The datasheet for the RAM said it could do
5-5-5-15 at 1066MHz and 2.2V.  So, I set the BIOS to the memory
manufacturer's spec, and all my random problems went away.

That took me about 30 hours to figure out... my guess is vanilla Windows
doesn't push the RAM controller as hard as Linux does.  Vista got a new
memory allocator, so maybe it's caught up?

I thought SPD made this process obsolete 15 years ago...

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC