On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen
<roz...@geekspace.com> wrote:
> Your comments beg the question, "*do* HAL and D-Bus ever actually need
> to be restarted" (and, if so, why?).

  As far as I know, they need to be restarted on two conditions:

(1) Some HAL/DBus config changes

(2) Software changes (to HAL/DBus, or a library they use)

>   * What should X applications do if the X server needs to be restarted?

  Well, I don't really grok HAL and DBus usage, but it would seem to
me that there's a lot less state involved in a HAL or DBus client vs
an X client.

  DBus is a message passing agent.  If it restarts, the only state
that is lost is the connection to it.  So in the client, if the
attempt-to-read-next-message routine fails, call the
attempt-to-connect routine again.  If the attempt-to-connect fails,
the appropriate course of action depends on the application.  Perhaps
continue operation, attempting a reconnect periodically; perhaps
notify the user; perhaps cough and die.

  HAL identifies hardware, and also reports on changes in hardware.
Changes in hardware are reported via DBus.  A restart of hald does not
imply a change in hardware.  So all your old hardware state is still
good.  And for future changes in hardware, see the DBus reconnect
algorithm above.

  In contrast, X contains all of the UI elements for a program.
There's a lot of complex, nested state there.  If it was just a simple
question of a connection to the X server, then I would still say the
attempt-to-reconnect algorithm was the right approach to take.  But if
all that state goes away, too, that's rather more complicated.

  Maybe there's more going on here than I'm aware of.

  Even if it *was* a case of the client application reasonably needs
to be restarted, then that means the client applications need to be
restarted.  It doesn't mean *everything* needs to be restarted.
Upgrading my X server just means I need to log out and back in again.
I don't have to reboot the whole computer.

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1157269&cid=27161797

>> Can anyone recommend a Free, Unix-like operating system that
>> supports a wide variety of hardware?  That used to be Linux, but it
>> now fails on the second item.
>
> Does this mean you're not coming to the Linux-UG party, after all?

  I haven't had time to reinstall my OS yet.  ;-)

-- Ben