On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Michael ODonnell
<michael.odonn...@comcast.net> wrote:
> ... QIC2 format 1/4" Streaming Cartridge ...

  I've never used a QIC or Travan system that didn't suck big green
donkey dick.  The Travan stuff was absolutely horrible; I think it
came defective from the factory to spare you the trouble of waiting
for it to fail.  I blame QIC and Travan for giving tape a bad name.

> Nice how the 9-track serpentine
> layout makes it possible for a single medium flaw to trash the bit stream
> in 9 different places at once...   >-/

  Unfortunately, I think most tape systems are multi-track --
everything from ancient reel-to-reel stuff to the latest LTO.

  I feel your pain on data loss; years ago I lost a hard drive and
didn't have backups.  I lost a lot of stuff.  Nothing I really needed
(and thus wasn't worth paying for), but I'd rather still have had it
than not.

  There aren't really *any* computer formats available to the consumer
which are rated for long term storage.  You've seen what happens with
affordable tape.  Floppy isn't any better, megabyte vs megabyte.  Most
recordable CDs and DVDs don't last very long, either -- especially the
bulk spindles most people buy.  The recording medium chemicals start
to degrade, or the disc itself starts to delaminate, after 5 to 10
years for most stuff.  They sell "archive quality" discs which are
supposed to be better, but it remains to be seen if they actually
deliver.  Consumer flash storage is too new to know if it will last.
And, of course, sometimes finding a host interface can be a challenge,
too.

  There are high-end tape systems that are rated for like 30+ year
archival, but they cost a fortunate.  Tends of thousands of dollars
starting price.

-- Ben