"Jon 'maddog' Hall" <mad...@li.org> writes:

> On the other hand, I wonder how many government installations are
> running MySQL at this point....not that it would or should influence
> anything.

Most MediaWiki installs use MySql by default.
Most WordPress installs use MySql by default.
Most Joomla installs use MySql by default.

And, sadly, almost all FOSS software that requires a back-end database
turns to MySql as it's default.

There is a lot of government use of said software.  MySql isn't going
anywhere anytime soon, and based on the fact that Oracle has kept
BerkeleyDB alive and well since they bought Sleepycat, I have no reason
to believe they'll do anything bad to MySql.

That being said, I can only hope for the quick, and painful demise of
both MySql and PHP.

--
Paul - who is trapped in a company with close to 1 million MySql
databases being accessed by really bad PHP code.