Thomas Charron wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Ben Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  That would generally be considered non-compliant with the
>> requirements for Internet hosts, even though DNS can handle it.

>   Interesting.  My nameserver at home ends up telling me to bugger
> off.  :-D  Not sure which one, either our DNS forwarder, or the TDS
> nameservers.  Will have to take a look.

Toying with a piece of trivia who's origin I no longer recall, I seem to
recall that some DNS servers will treat an underscore as a dash.

In an effort to test this theory, I tried doing a host lookup both ways
and indeed the results were identical:

$ host thingiverse_beta.s3.amazonaws.com
thingiverse_beta.s3.amazonaws.com is an alias for
s3-directional-w.amazonaws.com.
s3-directional-w.amazonaws.com is an alias for s3-1-w.amazonaws.com.
s3-1-w.amazonaws.com has address 72.21.202.194
$ host thingiverse-beta.s3.amazonaws.com
thingiverse-beta.s3.amazonaws.com is an alias for
s3-directional-w.amazonaws.com.
s3-directional-w.amazonaws.com is an alias for s3-1-w.amazonaws.com.
s3-1-w.amazonaws.com has address 72.21.202.194

Interesting.  A dig resulted in similar answers.

I don't know if Amazon's web server would agree, but their DNS servers
seem to think they are the same.

Brian