I will play the Devil's advocate here:

>No gaming support - Mandriva has an entire product line devoted to
>gaming, but the gaming developers didn't work with it and the end users
>didn't try it out.  It was subsequently dropped.

Yes, and "It was subsequently dropped" is the issue.  Linux just does
not have a big enough market on the desktop to attract both the
developers and the customers.  And even if a game developer ports their
game one time, they typically do not put out updates like they do for
Windows, so the Linux version typically lags behind.

Yes, there are exceptions, but die-hard gamers want to play the latest
games their friends have, not spend their time explaining why Linux does
not have them.

>Little/no OEM support - Mandriva has had an OEM certification program
>for years.

Yes, but how many OEMs put Mandriva on their systems and laptops?  How
many stores carried those pre-installed Mandriva systems?

>No iPod support - Amarok.  Right out of the box.

Don't have an iPod, so I can not comment.

>No migration tool - Mandriva has has a built-in migration tool for
>quite some time now - Transfugdrake - right in the System area of the
>control center.

Does it go in and extract all your email, contacts and everything from
your Microsoft Exchange system and set it up for you?  Some of these
answers he got sound as if they are from "home users" and some from
"enterprise users".

>Driver/hardware confusion - For 90% of hardware out there, you don't
>need it.  "Also, the fact that there’s no such thing as a “works with
>Linux” logo..."  Yes, there is.  I have a bunch of stickers with the
>one I designed and I'm sure there are others.

I think he is talking about having boxes from Creative Labs, ATI,
Nvidea, etc. that have something like the Windows logo on them, or
under "System Requirements" in product specifications having "Linux
Version 2.6.31 - Intel - 32 bit", or by having the device driver
included on the CD-ROM in the box.

There was an attempt years ago to have a "Linux Hardware Certification
Program" by a friend of mine through the company Linuxcare, but it (and
Linuxcare) tanked.  Maybe it is time to try again.

>Free tech support dries up - http://www.mandrivausers.org

Yes, I agree that "Free Tech Support" is still out there via the
Internet.  I think what he is talking about is more along the lines of a
friend coming over to help you get installed....then you calling the
friend to come over and help you set up your networking, then you
calling the (same) friend to come over and help you do your back
up...and after a while your friend does not return your calls any more
because they are trying to find a job that will help them pay their
mortgage.

Since there are roughly nine times as many windows users, you get to
spread your "Free Tech Support" needs to nine times as many friends.

>Confusion about distro differences - OK, I'll give him that one.

It is more like "ten" instead of just "one".  One of most prevalent
questions out there...."Which distro is right for me?"

If I am not trying to pay my mortgage, I may even give them a long and
detailed answer....but most of the time I just say "Ubuntu" or "Fedora"
or "OpenSUSE"....maybe now I will add "Mandriva".

md