On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Thomas Charron <twaf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   Linux is NOT more secure then Windows.  People RUNNING Linux are
> *generally* more security conscious then a person running Windows.
>
> --
> -- Thomas

Apache (OK, not Linux, but illustrative).  Back a number of years ago,
IIS was routinely compromised.  Yet Apache had 2/3's of the installed
base for web servers.  If it was strictly numbers, apache would have
been the most cracked /  attacked.  Why the difference?  I don't know,
but my theory is Open Source is better engineered because the people
building it CARE (they're often the people using the software - see
how apache got it's name) - and often have the skills to ensure it's
working well.  Also, because anyone can fix the hole, it's more likely
that when it's spotted, someone who cares about fixing it will get
their patch in.

No system can totally protect you from social engineering - but they
can protect from technical holes, speed repair of holes that are
found, and work to minimize damage caused by social engineering.

jeff