On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:34 PM, James R. Van Zandt <j...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Bill McGonigle <b...@bfccomputing.com> writes:
>>   I don't have experience with that particular card, but in general you
>>   should be able to do:
>>
>>      mplayer /dev/video0
>>
>>   or for your 500:
>>
>>      mplayer /dev/video1
>>
>>   To see if the hardware and module are working.  I have a 500 and it's
>>   given me no end of headaches, but for everything else besides the
>>   /dev/video0 part, which works pretty well.
>
> Thanks.  I got the PVR-500 working again, by configuring it as
> "Card Type: IVTV MPEG-2 encoder card".
>
> By the way, is there a way to get Mythtv to print out a plain text
> version of its configuration?  Screen dumps of the GUI are awkward to
> include in email.

Off the top of my head, this is about as good as it gets:

$ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
Password: ***********
mysql> select * from settings;
<copious amounts of config triplet spew>

> My HVR-2250 still scans but doesn't let me see any programs.  But I
> have both capture cards connected to the same source which I call
> "Comcast".
> I'm now thinking I need to:
>  - configure two different sources (say, "Comcast-analog" and
> "Comcast-QAM"),
>  - use different cards to scan them, then
>  - use the editor to manually delete all the analog channels from
>  "Comcast-QAM" and
>  - delete all the digital channels from "Comcast-analog"
>
> Is there a better way?

Nope. You do indeed need two different lineups, one for the analog
side, one for the digital side. It gets even more fun if you've also
got a set top box in the mix and want to record channels on it that
you don't get on either of the other two routes (I have this very
setup myself).

> I've also just discovered that in "watch TV" mode, the "M" key will
> bring up a menu with a "switch source" option.

iirc, 'y' cycles sources directly as well.

> Not sure how to use
> it, though.  At first I thought it was "choose the source for this
> channel number", but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Yeah, its "choose a video capture source". Naming your cards w/useful
descriptions helps here.

> A simpler question: Comcast is using QAM-256 for the digital channels, right?

Generally, yes.

--
Jarod Wilson
ja...@wilsonet.com