>   It doesn't help that, in early implementations at least, NFS's
> default error recovery mechanism is apparently "hang the whole machine
> until it starts working again".

News to me, except on diskless clients with too little RAM.  My 8MB Sun
3/50 once started making a beep just as its server went down.  The code
to turn off the tone was on the server....

There were/are also some issues about NFS clients tying up resources
when flushing dirty pages, especially on some not-so-high availability
systems that move disks from server to server and often do "loopback"
mounts on the server with access to the disks.  If the system is
running low on free memory, and decides to flush some NFS pages,
memory is allocated to send the pages to the server (running on the
same system), it tries to allocate disk cache space to buffer the
write, but since the system is low on memory, things run the risk
of hanging.

Heck, my RedHat 5.2 system could hang on low memory scenarios without
NFS's assistance.

  -Ric