On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Tyson Sawyer <ty...@j3.org> wrote:
>>  How do you find it works with Linux?  Or do you?  :)
>
> eTrex work great with gpsbabel.

provided you have right cable. Garmin has made three different cables,
two for RS232 serial and most recently USB.
Gpsbabel is great.

> Newer, fancier units mount up as mass
> storage devices over USB and natively support GPX files.

And microSD too.

My personal favorite is Garmin 76csx, available at HRO Salem,NH or
LLBean and lots of other places.
www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76csx/

I like moderately large color screen (smaller than tomtom but bigger
than etrex or iii+) and the air/boat/hiker 'off road'
range-and-azimuth mode for when I don't trust the street routing
(usual), usb & uSD, old Garmin round rigid automotive power connector,
and tall enough to jam between by dash & windscreen without a mount
that tells thieves it must be nearby.

I can load my own OSM made maps, which can be routable; I can add my
own POI DB's separately from Map (made with gpsbabel); I can extract
and load waypoints via GPX file; I can extract hi-precision track GPX
files from the uSD card (and low/compressed tracks by USB). I can
synchronize photos with my trackfile; though it's larger than my
eTrex, it fit in a pocket and can move away from the vehicle with the
camera, and last quite a while on 2 AA batteries.

Some newer Garmins will let you switch/select from several loaded maps
by menu, 76csx does not (at least not at my firmware level and think,
not.) Instead I have multiple maps on multiple uSDs in a media wallet
in my pocket, should travel out of my current map. Works for me.

--
Bill
n1...@arrl.net bill.n1...@gmail.com