On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Joel Burtram <jburt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I cannot seem to get Fedora 13 (or any other Linux distro)  to register with
> our local nameserver.

  I haven't tried to do what you're doing, but I might be able to help.

  What's your local nameserver like?  MS Win Active Directory
integrated?  ISC BIND named?  Something else?

> The system looks like it's trying to register but all requests go to a
> multicast addr (224.0.0.251) and the protocol is MDNS.

  Is that intentional?  The multicast DNS, I mean.  I think that's
part of Zeroconf or Rendezvous or whatever you call it.  If you're
running a typical Active Dir configuration, I don't think that's going
to work.

> All my winders boxes seem to have no
> problem dynamically registering to the nameserver, but none of my linux
> systems (dhcp or static addr) are resolvable ...

  As I recall, Microsoft's DHCP client sends a DHCP option to the DHCP
server asking for the DHCP server to do DDNS on behalf of the client.
The Microsoft DHCP server accepts that option and does the DDNS update
to Active Directory.  I don't think anyone else besides Microsoft
recognizes that DHCP option.

  The way I've always handled DDNS when using a Microsoft DHCP server,
is to enable the MS DHCP server config setting that has the DHCP
server register DNS entries for *all* clients, even if the client
doesn't request it.  It's in the properties of the DHCP scope in the
management GUI, IIRC.   Now *everything* gets a DNS entry if it uses
DHCP, even if it's a dumb appliance that has no clue about DNS.

-- Ben