On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Ralph Mack <ralphm...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I was just doing a little looking into why a web site I'm working on was
> a bit sluggish coming up and Firebug
> informed me that the bulk of the time is getting tied up in DNS
> resolution. It looks like each resolution is
> taking either 1 or 2 seconds, even for localhost! Since the web page has
> three tiers of files referring to other files,
> that leads to a web site that loads in half a second if accessed through
> its IP (127.0.0.1) but is taking over
> seven seconds if referred to by name (localhost).
>
> I'd have thought localhost would resolve on my local hosts table without
> even bothering to ask anybody else.
> Does it go out to the external servers before looking closer to home?
> (Seems backwards.)  Even if it did that,
> I'd expect some kind of local name caching behavior to kick in. How
> should I troubleshoot this?
>
> All of my DNS resolution is through Comcast. I have no DNS inside the
> firewall. My network is the usual
> family workgroup, with Windows, Linux, Mac wired together and the flock
> of enigmatic gadgets on wi-fi
> that has now become a standard affair. For the one or two machines we
> all talk to I use static hosts table
> entries.

You don't say which OS you're working on but since you emailed a
GNHLUG list I'm going to assume Linux. :-) What does your
/etc/nsswitch.conf contain on the hosts line? On one of my machines
(Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS) it looks like this:

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

The important thing for our purposes is that 'files' appears before
'dns', so that the resolver looks at your /etc/hosts before looking to
DNS.

> I've had other problems where DNS drops out entirely for minutes at a
> time but the network otherwise
> appears to be fine - pings to IPs, etc. work. Since it affects all the
> machines here, I figured it was either my
> router or Comcast DNS. Now I don't know what to think. What would be
> useful, though, is to know
> how to troubleshoot that as well.

No clue about this one.

-- Roger