On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Bill Sconce <sco...@in-spec-inc.com>wrote:

> I'll give iptables a try. It's at just the right level of brute-
> forceness, and of Linuxness.
>
> I love this list.

disclaimer: I'm jumping into this thread late, and without reading the whole
thing, so this comment may not be related ;-)

I heard someone say something about iptables.

I just want to add for those who may be interested in iptables, but not
wanting to get into the intricacies, you can try "firestarter" [1] or it's
successor gui app called "ufw" [2] (in Ubuntu)  I only say this because
using a firewall is one of many things that I have to do, and those apps
have made it very easy to do compared with command-line originals.

hth,
Greg Rundlett

[1] http://www.fs-security.com/
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/firewall.html