On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Tom Buskey <t...@buskey.name> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Cygnus Solutions provided support.  They got bought by Red
> Hat and I'd imagine Red Hat will sell support.  Cygnus also developed Cygwin
> and the embedded eCOS OS.

It looks like Cygnus was what I am looking for and Redhat's GNUPro
stuff might now be.

Supported, embedded Linux solutions are in large numbers.  Support for
GNU tools sans Linux seems less common.

> FWIW - gcc works well for cross compiling.  You can put your build
> environment on Linux or any other Unixen and cross compile for your target
> platform.

That's exactly what I had in mind, but they are looking for someone to
hold hands and solve problems.  I'm not a master of configuring and
maintaining a GCC and tool chain build and I don't have time to become
one.

> It should also be easier to switch targets in the future if
> you're not dependent on a specific compiler.  I've seen several sites that
> "can't switch from SunOS 4.1.x or Solaris 2.6" because their compiler "won't
> work" on newer versions of Solaris.

Bingo!  You should see some of the obsolete compilers around here. :-(

Thanks guys!
Ty

--
Tyson D Sawyer

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent
of many bad measures.   - Daniel Webster