On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen
<roz...@geekspace.com> wrote:
>> X reports a resident size of 40 MB, although how much of
>> that (if any) might actually be video card RAM I dunno.
>
> I bet none of it is video-card RAM; a significant (not necessarily
> majority, but significant) portion of the RAM `used by X', though,
> is shared libraries that are also used by other processes--and those
> are basically `gratis' since you'd be using them regardless.

  I'm approaching the limits of my understanding now, but:

  I note that several of the shared libraries you list are specific to
the X server, and thus aren't shared by any other process.

  I've never used memstat before, but the manual page states that it
reports "virtual memory".  I was looking at the "RSS" (resident
segment size) column of ps.  Virtual size can include things which
aren't main RAM.  It would appear that memstat breaks out
memory-mapped files, but how does it treat things like pages swapped
to disk?

  (I wouldn't expect RSS to include RAM mapped from the video card,
but I didn't know that for sure, hence my qualification earlier.)

-- Ben