On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 4:56 PM, wileop <wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is what you are interested in, but Steve Gibson, of
> Gibson Research Corp. (grc.com) has a web page where he set up
> a program to generate random passwords, in different formats.

(1) A one-time password/pad (OTP) is something very different from a
password generator.  OTPs are the only cryptographic mechanism which
has been mathematically proven to be secure.  Google will tell you
more.

(2) Steve Gibson doesn't know nearly as much about security as he
thinks he does.

(2)(a) In particular, that password generator is dubious.  The entropy
source of the initialization vector is never explained, the period of
the counter is never given, and the source and/or variance of the
"secret key" is never explained.  While it probabbly creates okay
passwords, it's hardly the miracle of cryptography he portrays it to
be.

(3) Most Linux distributions come with at least one password
generation utility.  Popular names include "mkpasswd" (part of
Expect), "makepasswd", and "pwgen".

-- Ben