On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 09:39 -0500, Dan Coutu wrote:
> My local high school's tech center is looking for learning materials
> (e.g. books) that will help students to understand the basics of how to
> use MySQL.

We have a number of books in the library relating to MySQL.
http://www.librarything.com/catalog/dlslug&deepsearch=mysql

> Ideally some discussion of database normalization and how to
> design a database schema for an application would also be found is these
> materials.

None of them say much about normalization.  They devote a few pages to
normalization, and essentially say it's beyond the scope of the book.
They do provide reasonable coverage of the needed SQL commands and their
syntax.

Let me know if you want any of these books.

I have CJ Date's recent book: SQL and Relational Theory

Date's prose is often annoying (pedantic, repetitious).  I do like his
approach of starting with Set/Relational theory and using that to drive
the SQL.  However, I can't recommend it for high school students.

Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp
DLSLUG/GNHLUG library
http://dlslug.org/library.html