On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 09:31:38 am Jerry Feldman wrote:
> From Groklaw:
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20101122130625952
> "Novell has sold itself
> <http://www.novell.com/news/press/novell-agrees-to-be-acquired-by-attachmat
> e-corporation/> to Attachmate Corporation. There is a side deal selling
> "certain
> intellectual property assets" to CPTN Holdings LLC, "a consortium of
> technology companies organized by Microsoft". SUSE goes to Attachmate, I
> gather, and will be a separate unit, so what goes to Microsoft's
> consortium?"
> ------
>
> I'm not sure how this will affect the Linux community at this time. Note
> that SuSE will remain as a separate business unit under Attachmate.
> Groklaw includes a number of press reactions to this. One question I
> have is how this will affect the current SCO vs. Novell litigation that
> is in it's second appeal. And, of course, the SCO vs. IBM litigation.
> Currently the SCO vs. Novell case could possibly be heard by the 10th
> Circuit on January 18th.

I suspect that a lot of the patents the consortium will receive deal with
Wordperfect.  Despite the patent deal between Novell and Microsoft, there are
some continuing disputes concerning this.  Other than that, probably patents
dealing with networking functions that are relevant to NetWare.

One thing that I'm worried about, as a KDE user is that if OpenSUSE goes away
I won't have a distribution as good at supporting it to turn to.  Of course,
we won't know anything about the final arrangements until roughly Spring 2011.

As for SCO, I suspect that will be wrapped up about the time we have practical
flying cars.