On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Jeffry Smith <jsm...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Either get the modules installed or remove the
> kernel from /boot ...
> update-initramfs doesn't actually care where or how the kernel/modules
> were installed.  It just iterates over the kernels it finds in /boot
> building initramfs's.  ...

  I was thinking one could prolly just rename the kernel image file so
that it doesn't match whatever pattern update-initramfs is looking
for.  So I went looking at the source.  It appears what
update-initramfs is *actually* doing is iterating over the version
numbers from /var/lib/initramfs-tools/* and looking to build an initrd
image for each one.

  According to dpkg on my Debian 5.0 box, no package owns anything under there:

        blackfire$ dpkg -S /var/lib/initramfs-tools/*
        dpkg: /var/lib/initramfs-tools/2.6.26-2-686 not found.
        blackfire$

  I guess it's another not-quite-managed-package thing.  So... at
least look in /var/lib/initramfs-tools/ and see if there's something
in there that shouldn't be.  If so, move it somewhere else, I guess.

-- Ben