> It would be interesting to see how the Linux systems have performed
> after 2.5 years at sea.

I've never been able to forget the Navy's previous disasters with adrift surface ships, and non Unix upgrades.

"US vessel, the Yorktown"  .."The entire network of Windows NT machines crashed. The Navy claims the ship was dead in the water for about three hours;"
http://www.ganssle.com/articles/Asgoodasitgets.htm

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/1998/07/13987

2.5 years at see in the submarine fleet, sounds very successful, overall.   I would expect the Navy would be
working on a performance report.

Michael Nolin

On Mon Jun 6 22:28 , Joshua Judson Rosen sent:

"Jon \"maddog\" Hall" <mad...@li.org> writes:

> On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 07:24 -0400, Jeffry Smith wrote:
> >
> > http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/archive/331544-196/uss-new-hampshire-surfaces-on-seacoast.html
> >
> > quote:
> > "The $2.4 billion New Hampshire is so high-tech that it has no
> > periscope, and uses Linux-based computers to provide deck officers
> > with views of the outside world from various external cameras, using
> > multiple parts of the spectrum."
>
> It was not until I read the comments to the article and saw that they
> were posted two years ago that I realized the article was written in
> October of 2008.
>
> It would be interesting to see how the Linux systems have performed
> after 2.5 years at sea.

If anyone finds out..., the article in Wikipedia is pretty
scant on details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_Hampshire_\(SSN-778)