On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 06:36:24PM -0500, Ben Scott wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Bruce Labitt
> <bruce.lab...@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
> > Are there any decent tools or scripts that one can use?
>
>   I've had SmokePing recommended to me for this purpose.

Seconded. If you have a machine running 24/7, it produces very nice
RRDTool graphs of packet loss and latency that you can show to
engineering types and get a reasonable response.*

-ben

* The times I have showed the graphs to first-level tech support types,
the answers have ranged from "what's 5% packet loss between friends?" to
"our email doesn't show images" responses...

--
empirical veracity is sacrificed on the altar of theoretical parsimony.
                                                        <howard raiffa>