On Sunday 13 May 2012 23:15:48 Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Well... there is one concern I have.  I recall an engineer at a previous
> employer (that's Eric to you, Bobby) who had issues with the USB -> RS232
> doohickeys; I no longer recall the details, but something, IIRC, about how
> it was buffered caused there to be significant delays with *some* adapters.
>  I would find that irksome.  OTOH, that was under Windows, and maybe that's
> not a concern for Linux?

    I have had several USB to RS232 to serial modem setups within the last 5
years, and none of them worked very well.  (We have 3 computers on dialup.)
I also used a number of PCMCIA cards.  They run hot, and I now have 3 of them
that are dead or partially working.

    The US Robotics unit worked out f the box with no problems.  It nearly
always gets the 50666KB match despite our old silk insulated copper lines in
this part of Nashua.

    Ken, if it is only for a couple weeks, I have a spare that you can borrow.

Jim Kuzdrall