On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 00:36:46 -0400, Joshua Judson Rosen <roz...@geekspace.com>
wrote:
> Do you do, or have you considered doing, anything in the way of whitebox
> laptops with straight-up Linux installs (i.e. no Microsoft overhead)?

If you want/need a powerful laptop (for, I dunno, portable gaming
something?) that runs Linux right from the vendor, I have no advice.

If you only want an "adequate" laptop with no Windows Tax, I suggest
buying one used. I did that recently from "Electronics Warehouse" in
Nashua. They've got many to choose from.

I went there with a Debian Live CD. They wouldn't let me use it because
I'd burned it myself, but indicated they would have had it had an
Official Sticker.

    http://www.debian.org/CD/artwork/

:)

The guy had a Linux Mint CD, though, and we tried a couple of laptops
out to make sure everything worked before I bought it. (In fact, I did
have trouble with it when I got it home, but I'm pretty sure that's
because of a faulty wireless router. It worked fine elsewhere.)

It's only a Dell Latitude D600, which is from almost 10 years ago. But I
can ssh to my home email, watch videos (online and not), check online
maps, etc. More than enough for my modest traveling needs. The only real
"problem" is that it only has a 40GB HD, so I can't store much
media. But I have effectively doubled that with a $20 USB flash drive
and will likely have much more than I really need.