Thanks Ben.  I'll try that.  As usual with intermittent problems it
hasn't recurred since you wrote this.  It can go a week or more without
a problem and then boot into text mode multiple times in one day. Truth
is, this machine boots so fast it's only a minor issue at the moment.
My big concern is that one day it won't recover, although I guess that
would make debugging a bit easier. I'll let you know the outcome next
time it happens.

Mike