So, I use LinkedIn. And my resume and professional portolio is the FOSS
projects that I've worked on and the roles that I've held in those
projects (we talked a bit about this `FOSS projects as an important part
of your professional portfolio thing' at the last Nashua LUG meeting at
MakeIt Labs back at the beginning of the month; FoxtrotGPS is one such
project for me, but there are others too).

The question is: how do I tell that to LinkedIn?

    * When listing `experience', how should I list FOSS projects?
      LinkedIn seems to believe that `experience' can come only
      from time-periods spent working at `companies' where I
      have/had a `title'. Is proper form here to just tell LinkedIn
      that, e.g., I've spent 3 years working for the FoxtrotGPS
      company and it's a 20- to 50-person company (or whatever
      the number `bzr stats' or the project page on ohloh.net says)?
      It's tempting to follow Chris Webber's lead and just say
      "I work for the Internet" <http://identi.ca/notice/99365775>....

    * More confusing: when I add a contact, how should I list
      the connection?

      - `colleague' at the FoxtrotGPS company (and `yes, add
        "FoxtrotGPS" as a new company')?

      - `other'? (and why, when I select `other', does it ask me
        what the other person's e-mail address is rather than
        asking me to define what `other' actually means???)

      - `friend'? WTF does that mean (and why *doesn't* it ask me
        for the other person's e-mail address if I say that
        he's my `friend' rather than an `other')?

      - `I don't know this person [AFK/IRL?]' (and, again,
        why doesn't it ask me the same thing for this as if
        I said `other')?

My nerdy engineering-brain just wants to grab LinkedIn by the shoulders
and yell, "your ontology does not match reality!". That's what my brain
wants..., but my *hands* cannot find LinkedIn's shoulders.

Surely someone here has figured this out. What do you do?