Background processes don't generally send output to the console, because they
are not associated with a console. If you just want to see if it's running:

ps -x | egrep 'MyProcessName'

If you want to temporarily bring a background process to the foreground, use
the "fg" bash builtin.

As Chris said, processes can be written to handle signals and some common
programs (like Apache) will spit out some status info if you send them a USR1
signal, like:

kill -s USR1 processID

Just try it and see what happens.

You could also send the output to an unused console window, like /dev/tty10 and
then just switch to the window when you want to see what it's doing. (That may
require some aditional setup in your inittab, though.)

Ron Smith